METRO takes pride in the duties and services performed by METRO Police Officers. METRO Police Department accepts nothing less than the highest degree of integrity from our officers. The Department’s Professional Standards Section helps to ensure that officers perform in a safe and courteous manner and conduct themselves appropriately at all times. We are committed to ensuring that we treat the citizens we serve with fairness and respect.
It is important that citizens be aware of the Department's Citizen Complaint Procedures. It is often only through such notification that we are made aware of possible policy infractions.
Specific wrongdoing or abusive treatment by a METRO Police Officer during a traffic stop or arrest is a valid complaint and will be investigated fully. However, disagreements over the validity of a citation or arrest do not constitute a valid complaint. These matters are to be resolved in the proper court with any evidence that may exist.
You may contact the department on an informal basis by telephone to make the department aware of a concern regarding a METRO police officer. This type of complaint will be forwarded to the employee’s supervisor for awareness. Contact Sgt. Tonya Prince during regular business hours at 713-615-6487, Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except on Holidays.
You may also choose to file a formal written complaint. For your convenience, you may use one of the four methods below. Please note, all formal complaints involving police officers must be sworn under oath and notarized.
For your convenience:
- You may complete a written complaint packet in person at the METRO Police Department located at 1900 Main, Administration Building adjacent to the Downtown Transit Center, Houston, TX 77002, during regular business hours, Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., See Sgt. Tonya Prince, 13th floor.
- Or you may download an electronic Written Complaint Form. The form can be completed manually or electronically, but it must be printed out and signed and notarized before it is submitted. If you require a notary, you may come to 1900 Main and your document will be notarized at no charge.
- Or you may submit the signed/notarized complaint form by email: Tonya.Prince@ridemetro.org, Subject: Professional Standards Section Sergeant Tonya Prince.
- Or you may pick up a complaint packet at 1900 Main at the METRO Ride Store, 1st Floor. There is also the option of completing the Written Complaint Form, getting it notarized and then mailing it to the address below:
METRO Police Department
Attn: Professional Standards Section
Sergeant Tonya Prince
1900 Main Admin. Building
13th Floor, #13040
Houston, TX 77002
- All complaints received by the Department are processed through the Professional Standards Office. When a complaint is received, it is reviewed to determine the nature of the allegations. The most serious type of complaints are investigated by the Professional Standards Section investigators. These complaints involve allegations such as excessive force, any discharge of firearms, or criminal activity such as theft. Complaints comparatively less serious in nature, such as rude behavior or improper procedure, are forwarded to the individual officer's division for investigation. In every case, the person making the complaint will be contacted during the investigation for additional information, and will be notified by mail of the final disposition.
- All formal complaints are sworn under oath. Any person who knowingly makes a false or untrue statements with intent to deceive may be prosecuted under the Penal Code of the State of Texas, Section 37.02: Perjury
Download Professional Standards Brochure (PDF)
For more information on the Professional Standards section, please feel free to contact:
Sergeant Tonya Prince at 713-615-6487.
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader free software for viewing and printing PDF files.