METRO offers a fifty percent discount on all bus and light-rail service for students,
seniors, Medicare cardholders and the disabled. Children ages five and under ride free.
Dear students, you may now find your student fare card information on the “Student Fare Cards” page.
Seniors and Medicare Cardholders
Must present a government-issued ID with date of birth.
- Seniors 65-69 and Medicare Cardholders receive a 50 percent discount
- Seniors 70+ ride FREE. To obtain this discount, seniors may come to the RideStore at 1900 Main and St. Joseph Parkway, or mail the registration form
Download brochure with application (PDF)
- RideStore hours of operation: Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To receive your discount METRO fare card, applicants must come to the METRO
RideStore at 1900 Main Street. In order to process your discount METRO Q® Fare Card
for the disabled, please bring your government-issued ID with date of birth (state ID,
driver's license, veteran's ID or passport), plus one of the following:
- Doctor’s statement of disability on physician’s letterhead or Rx (prescription) stating the patient’s name, brief description of the disability, and whether the status is permanent or temporary
- You may qualify if your disability is visible, such as missing limbs, palsies, etc. – anything that directly affects mobility
- Verification of your Medicare benefits, not Medicaid
- Veteran’s ID with “Service Connected” listed under the picture only
NOTE: The Social Security Award letter is not acceptable for verification unless the
actual disability is noted or Medicare benefits are listed.
Disabled or Decorated Veterans
The Qualified METRO Veterans Pass (MVP) was approved by the Board of Directors as a permanent part of METRO’s fares. It provides qualified U.S. military veterans with free, unlimited rides on our light-rail, local bus and Park & Ride service.
learn more >>
order online >>
Jurors ride FREE on METRO with your jury summons.
METRO wants to make it easier for Harris County residents called for jury duty by providing temporary free shuttles. METRO hopes the shuttles will alleviate some of the traffic and parking challenges for those doing their civic duty. Discounted rate parking is available for those with a jury summons at the Harris County Credit Union, 1400 Franklin St.
417 Harris County Jury Shuttle
418 Harris County Jury Shuttle
Shuttle pick-up and drop-off locations:
- Congress Avenue and Austin Street
- Fannin Street and Preston Street
Hours of Operation - Monday - Friday 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Frequency - Every 15 minutes
METRO provides a complimentary one-way bus/rail trip for those going to jury duty on the
original date of their summons. Prospective jurors who are not selected for jury duty may
ask the court for a METRO jury pass to complete their trip home. This pass will be date
stamped (valid through the same day) and should be presented to the bus operator upon
If riding METRORail, keep your pass available to present when requested.
If selected for jury duty, ask the court for a jury pass. This pass should be
stamped with a “valid through” date.
Be aware that both passes look the same; however, the date stamped validates
the pass. The METRO juror fare policy also applies to ADA paratransit eligible customers