2012 General Mobility Program Referendum
Learn more about the upcoming General Mobility Program (GMP) referendum with the New METRO’s multi-media resource center.
- Get a quick overview of the GMP referendum and its role in our community.
- Watch METRO meetings discussing the "ins and outs" of the General Mobility Program.
- Get the facts, figures and historical perspective on the General Mobility Program from its inception, including proposals for the future of GMP in our region.
- We have some homework for you. Download the General Mobility Program (GMP) worksheet and create your own distribution of GMP funds.
- Email us your ideas, thoughts and comments with our interactive page. We’d love to hear from you.
If information is needed in another language, contact 713-652-8658.
Si necesita información en otro idioma, por favor llame al 713-652-8658.
In keeping with a promise METRO made to voters in the 2003 referendum, the agency will soon be asking the citizens of this region to vote on the future of METRO's General Mobility Program (GMP).
As spelled out in the 2003 referendum, this vote will seek a determination by voters regarding METRO's continuing support of the GMP, which is set to expire Sept. 30, 2014.
The GMP is funded by a 25 percent allocation from METRO's 1-cent sales tax revenue and pays for the construction and maintenance of:
- Streets and roadways
- Bridges and grade separations
- Traffic-control signals
- Sidewalks and hike and bike trails
- Drainage improvements related to transportation facilities, streets, roads or traffic-control improvements
The other 75 percent of METRO's sales tax revenue goes toward METRO programs, including local and Park & Ride bus service, light rail, vanpool, HOV-lane operations and METROLift.
Revisit the 2003 referendum, see a full breakdown of the General Mobility Program and get vital information about the Nov. 6, 2013, referendum.
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY OF HARRIS COUNTY, TEXAS NOTICE OF REFERENDUM ELECTION (PDF)
AUTORIDAD METROPOLITANA DE TRÁNSITO DEL CONDADO DE HARRIS, TEXAS AVISO DE ELECCIÓN DE REFERÉNDUM (PDF)
CƠ QUAN GIAO THÔNG ĐÔ THỊ QUẬN HARRIS, TEXAS THÔNG BÁO BỎ PHIẾU TRƯNG CẦU DÂN Ý (PDF)
德州 Harris 郡都市運輸局全民投票選舉通 (PDF)
Good with numbers? Download the GMP worksheet to view the current “working model” and offer your own insight on spending priorities, sales tax projections and referendum language.