Juan (John) Garcia, CPA
Vice President & Chief Auditor
“I think people should know that METRO is one of the most diverse companies in the country, and we are doing everything we can to be the best public transportation company in the United States.”
— John Garcia
John Garcia’s job as chief auditor is to make sure METRO’s mission to provide excellent customer service is on track, inside and out.
Garcia and the nine professionals he manages in METRO’s Audit Department have nearly 200 years of combined experience.
The department reviews and audits other departments and processes to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures, as well as federal and state regulations.
Before joining the Authority, Garcia was an audit manager at a number of leading Fortune 500 oil and gas companies and with KPMG, one of the largest public accounting firms in the world.
Garcia spent two decades working all over the United States and in more than 20 other countries.
- Big 4 Public Accounting, Senior Manager of Internal Audit
- Oil and Gas Industry, Manager of Compliance and Internal Audit
- Local Government, Audit Manager
- Oil and Gas Industry, Financial Analyst
Professional Associations and Activities
- Member, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Internal Auditor Association
- Member, Association for Certified Fraud Examiner
- Member, Association of Local Government Auditors (ALGA)
- Volunteer PEER Reviewer, ALGA
- Past Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Guest Speaker University of Houston Hispanic Business Student Association and University of Houston Internal Audit Association
- Volunteer, Loaves and Fishes Cooking Team
- Volunteer, Star of Hope Women and Children’s Shelter Holiday Cooking Team
- Volunteer Board Advisor and Treasurer for the University of Houston Hispanic Alumni
- St. Maximilian Church – Volunteer Ley Director for WATCH Program
Education and Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant
- B.B.A. (Honors), University of Houston
- Vice President of Beta Alpha Psi – International Honors Organization for Accounting, Finance and Information Systems Students at University of Houston